We never promised Delta Force members – Sam Pyne

The Ashanti Regional General Secretary of the governing New Patriotic Party(NPP), Sam Pyne has refuted claims that the party arranged for 13 of its members in the affiliate vigilante group, Delta Force to be protected in court last Thursday.

A member of the group, Ernest Appiah Dankwa has alleged that the group vandalized the Kumasi based Circuit court and freed 13 of its members facing trial because the leadership of the party had failed them.

According to them, the party promised to make their appearance in court a mere formality, thus they would be released soon after.

But, Mr. Sam Pyne has described as untrue the allegations made by the party’s vigilante group.

According to him, the only meeting held in their case was how best the party can tame them following the troubles they are fomenting in the region.

“It’s not true whatsoever in that statement from whoever is making that assertion, because the regional body or the regional party we’ve not met on this matter of them going to court or not going to court. The last time we met was to discuss how to talk to them for them not to misbehave again. And that’s all. I don’t know whether somebody has told them anything or whatever, but that is the business between them and that person.

But as to the regional party telling them to go to court and that we’ve spoken to people and all that wahala, I think is the imagination of somebody,” he told Accra-based Citi FM.

According to him, the boys are recognized by the party hierarchy and have provided security services for them in the past, but the party largely condemns the mayhem caused by the group in recent times.

The 13 were facing trial Thursday but they were whisked away from police custody after a Circuit Court hearing in connection with an earlier mayhem.

The escape followed a ruling by the judge to remand the 13 to prison custody until April, 20 in their trial by a Kumasi Circuit court for the assault of the Regional Security Coordinator.

Reports say all the suspects turned themselves in on Thursday shortly after their other colleagues aided them to flee the court.

The court siege has been roundly condemned by various stakeholders describing it as sickening.



Spread the love